Contact SCR 803-772-5206 General Counsel Byron King – Byron

Thumbnail procedures:

You might become a Plaintiff or a Defendant in a lawsuit that might have statewide impact.

1. Hire a trial lawyer.

The SC Bar Lawyer Referral Service is 800-868-2284. Other referral sources: SCR knows some law firms that have worked with various REALTORS® and SCR and local associations on real estate issues in the past. Your brokerage may already have a brokerage attorney or have some referrals. The local association/MLS may have legal counsel too.

2. Review the legal action funding documents with your trial lawyer. Consult with your team and brokerage as appropriate. Consult with the local association.

3. Contact your local association AE/GAD/Leadership to schedule a meeting and review.

4. Contact SCR 803-772-5206 General Counsel Byron King – Byron

5. SCR will schedule a Legal Action Committee Zoom video conference with you and your attorneys for your presentation and to ask questions.

6. SCR Executive Committee must approve any SCR Legal Action Committee recommendations on funding.

7. NAR has a legal action program.

8. SCR and NAR can provide a friend of the court briefs through a process similar to the above.

9. Your law firm sends law firm bills/invoices to SCR. SCR staff reviews. SCR sends checks payable to your law firm to the law firm.

10. Having your local association support your application is helpful when requesting SCR legal funding and or NAR legal funding.

11. SCR can help you apply for NAR legal funding.

12. Primary for SCR legal action funding is you demonstrate why your legal issue has the potential for statewide impact.

13. Primary for NAR legal action funding is you demonstrate why your legal issue has the potential for nationwide impact.

14. This process is relatively simple. Complete the legal action funding application. Talk to your local association. Talk to SCR. Present your issue to the legal action committee REALTORS®.

Posted by: Byron King on 03/22/23 (This information is only accurate as of 03/22/23. You must contact SCR for updates and changes to this information after 03/22/23 as laws and regulations may change over time. SCR 803-772-5206 or email info at or email byron at

This information is not legal advice. This information is intended only to provide general information and may not be relied upon as specific legal guidance. Legal counsel should always be consulted before acting in reliance on this information.