Lead Vendor Problems
SCR has received complaints from members about the quality of leads and their lead generation vendors and their lead vendor agreements.
Some suggestions from SCR and NAR to help avoid problems with vendors:
1. Do your due diligence on vendors. Research the company. Ask for references. Check out the references. Check with colleagues, better business bureau, and associations.
2. Negotiate an agreement with the vendor in cooperation with your law firm. Include language about a test period to determine quality. Include language about an inexpensive opt out of the contract if you are not satisfied.
3. Comply with federal do not call laws and ensure the vendor is complying with federal do not call laws by not providing lead numbers on the do not call list.
4. SC law prohibits using SC government records for purposes of commercial solicitation. Ensure your lead vendor is compliant with all laws. This applies to government tax records.
5. Ask your law firm about hold harmless and indemnification language in your agreement.
Posted by: Byron King on 12/18/18 (This information is only accurate as of 12/18/18. You must contact SCR for updates and changes to this information after 12/18/18 as laws and regulations may change over time. SCR 803-772-5206 or email info at screaltors.org)