When working with foreign language speaking consumers in real estate transactions, some ideas:

Associate with a brokerage REALTOR® who is bilingual. Many REALTORS® advertise their language skills.

Associate with a law firm attorney who is bilingual. Many attorneys advertise their language skills. Consumers will need a law firm for real estate transactions anyway. SC Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service at 800-868-2284. SC Legal Aid (for income-restricted clients) can be reached at 888-346-5592.

Associate with a lender who is bilingual.

Associate with a qualified translator.

SCR surveyed many state associations in 2018 and no state provides Spanish language real estate forms. Many times in contract disputes, the lawyers argue over what the English words mean and no translation is 100% accurate. So another "duplicate" contract in a foreign language could create even more legal issues and litigation. A couple of states provide a Spanish "explanation" of important forms (e.g. contract, lease). NAR provides translations of the Code of Ethics.

Use all means necessary to avoid minor children translating for their non-English speaking parents in real estate transactions. Best to hire a translator and bilingual SC attorney to do the translating.

Posted by: Byron King on 08/07/19 (This information is only accurate as of 08/07/19. You must contact SCR for updates and changes to this information after 08/07/19 as laws and regulations may change over time. SCR 803-772-5206 or email info at screaltors.org)